Friday, October 01, 2004

Indigenous Peoples and Children

October is a month especially dedicated to two groups of human beings that make our world a beautiful and happly place to live in: the indigenous peoples (IPs), mostly living in the "last frontiers", and the children-- both of which, sadly, are already endangered species.

Tanya, an IP lady working in our office, sent me this very inspiring message, a short poem, in celebration of the Indigenous Peoples Month:
From the mountains comes my strength,
from the pine breeze my life,
from the rivers my peace,
and from the skies my ancestors'wisdom.
I'm an indigenous person
and proud to be one.
Happy Indigenous Peoples Month.
May we uphold the richness of our culture
and the legacies of our heritage.


Regarding children, I have a previous blog where I placed the lyrics of the Bless the Beast and the Children song by the Carpenters. But let me add two haiku I wrote on separate occasion about my cute two-year-old grandson:
my sleep cut short
my grandson in front of me
takes it away

my two-year-old grandson
his face glows
before the laptop screen



4 Comments:

Blogger Casey Wolf said...

i get such joy reading your writing, and your poems are so alive, often bracingly so, and with humour. we are lucky you are writing your blog.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Casey Wolf said...

wow! i just noticed my comment arrived in the philipines at 1:48 pm, while i sent here a second earlier at 10:48 pm. huh! i don't think we'll ever be online at the same time.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Stan said...

You write beautiful, enigmatic haikus, Roh. I'm going to have to try it again. The last time I did was when I was fairly young, having just read Basho's 'The Long Road to the Deep North', which I loved, but of course my haikus were nonsense by comparison.

4:17 PM  
Blogger roh mih said...

Mael, maybe Blogger.com could explain the delay-- I'm not sure though. Whenever I write a comment, it always says it will not automatically appear. Otherwise, the delay may be reflecting the "economic distance" between Canada and the Philippines! It is possible that when you write a comment, by the time I read it, our currency will have worsened vis-a-vis yours! No wonder, many Filipinos migrate there, in the most livable place in the world.

And thank you Stan (and you, too, Mael) for appreciating my poems and haikus. You inspire me to write more-- and to look at life more deeply, and positively.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This site is licensed under a Creative Commons License.


Locations of visitors to this page