Saturday, September 25, 2004

Arjuna

Many times-- in fact, almost every night, I wake up past midnight and, through the window, I always see that one bright star. I wrote the following poem with reference to this experience:
Past midnight, gazing at a lone bright star,
I name it Arjuna.
From the distant plains of Kurukshetra,
his cry echoes:
where is joy in the killing of men?

Let me explain a little bit. Arjuna is a character in the Bhagavad-Gita or the Song of God. The poem above refers to that opening scene in the Bhagavad-Gita, where Arjuna is having a conversation with Krishna, before warring armies, who are related in blood, engaged in the field of Kurukshetra. Arjuna posed a question which is very much relevant to post-modern times, in these days of terrorism and preemptive war.

Now, read this: one night, I saw the same (or I think the same) bright star. I just looked at it. Then, moments later, the star seemed as if it was withdrawing... until it's gone.


8 Comments:

Blogger Stan said...

Wow!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Casey Wolf said...

i am lying on a bed gazing sleepily up at one bright star, half listening to you speak, breathing in the beauty of that clear cool moving air, and then you ask the question, "what is the joy in killing men?", and i am sick with unguarded sorrow.

8:58 AM  
Blogger roh mih said...

Mae, we may be looking at the same star, but we are looking at it differently, because we are brought and are into different situations, background and experiences.
Why gaze sleepily? Gaze deeply. Gaze mindfully.
Why just half-listen? Listen fully.
We live in one world anyway.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Stan said...

I REALLY like both versions.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Casey Wolf said...

roh, i think you missed my point. i don't actually think we are seeing it differently, and my response _was_ deep. sorry it didn't reach you.

5:07 AM  
Blogger roh mih said...

Oh! Yes, I'm sorry! I read your comment/poem and I realized I really missed your point. The trouble with me sometimes is that I read with a tired or unrelaxed mind. I just came from a rather long trip and then dropped by a mall where I decided to open my blog in an internet shop. That's when I first read your comment. I was half-awake and half-listening!

Well, anyway, just imagine that you are opening your door and then I'm there in front of you, smiling with fresh chrysanthemum flowers for you...from Stan's shop!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Stan said...

Ha ha. And only the best.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Casey Wolf said...

i am delighted to receive you and your (stan's) flowers at my door today! and i have some hot tea ready for you inside.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This site is licensed under a Creative Commons License.


Locations of visitors to this page